This is one of my favourite dal recipes – it’s simple, tasty and comes together very quickly.
The list of ingredients is quite short:
- Split skinned red lentils – a couple handfuls
- Spinach, chopped – 150 gms
- Garlic, minced – 1 tsp, heaped (Reduce for a less garlicky taste.)
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp, depending on how yellow you want the dal to turn out.
- Salt – to taste
Soak lentils for 15 to 30 minutes. Cook them with turmeric powder and a bit of salt till soft and breaking apart. I used a pressure cooker – I turned off the heat when the cooker came to full pressure and let the pressure release naturally.
Heat a kadhai (or wok or other pot), turn down heat and put in the garlic. When it starts to stick, add a small splash of water. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the spinach and when it wilts, mix in cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and garam masala. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
Pour in the lentils, add a dash of salt and mix very well. Let it simmer for a minute, while mashing the lentils. The final dal should have a bit of a creamy texture, like so: