What do you do when all the fresh produce in the house amounts to
a gnarly knob of ginger,
a couple bananas,
a fat head of garlic,
a sad old lemon,
a single avocado?
You make an easy avocado pasta sauce, of course! (No, it doesn’t have banana in it. Or ginger.)
- Avocado, pulp scooped out – 1 medium
- Garlic – 4 to 10 cloves (This depends on your taste. I like my pasta super garlicky, so I used 4 humongous cloves of garlic. Seriously, they were the size of my thumb. The front bit, anyway.)
- Lemon, juiced – 1
- Balsamic vinegar – 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli flakes – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried – 1 tsp, scant
- Basil, dried – 1 tsp, scant
- Thyme, dried – 1 tsp, scant
- Jaggery powder – 1 tsp, heaped
- Salt – to taste
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Add a splash of water if needed. Let the sauce sit while you cook pasta – this allows the flavours to mingle better.
I find avocado-based sauces very filling, so I’d say this is enough to toss with enough pasta for three to four people, depending on how hungry said people are and what else there is to eat.